July 2018  
SMTWTFS
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    
     
Bible Search
History of Church

History of Bates United Methodist Church

 

In June 1840, George  Bates donated an acre of ground for use as a public meeting place and free  burial ground.  In the 1850’s, a log building was erected on this site and was later replaced by a white frame structure.  It was dedicated in 1896 as Mt. Pleasant.   this building was destroyed by fire in March 1943 .  The Ladies Aide Society was meeting that day and were able to save the Bible, pulpit, pews and a few other items.

Until monies could be raised to rebuild, the congregation continued to meet in a nearby home and under a tent.  The building committee bought the vacant gymnasium from the Shade School Board, tore it down and used the materials to build a new church.  It was dedicated in 1948 as Bates Methodist Church, named after the man who donated the land. 

In the 1950’s, church suppers and ice cream socials were held to raise money to purchase new pews  in 1959, and later a matching communion table in memory of the church treasurer who had passed away.  Through the years there have many improvements and additions to the church.   Recent ones are an indoor restroom and handicap ramp.

Currently, the church has a very active Ladies group; the men can be counted on to help with projects too!  Fundraisers are currently held in the spring and fall to finance our local and foreign missions.  We also have quarterly hymn sings and our annual church homecoming is held on the 3rd Sunday of September.

Information from Villa Henry, Martha McVey and Juanita Deal.